Geetanjali Mukherjee

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

How I Write: Authors on Their Writing Process - R.K. Gold

Today's interview is with multi-genre author, R.K. Gold. 




1.      When did you first start writing?
I’ve been writing my whole life on and off but I started to pursue publishing my senior year of college (January 2014). When I was stopped at a red light, a car came flying off the highway and sent me to the hospital. I realized no matter what you’re doing in life, and no matter how safe you are, it can all come to an end at any second so you best pursue something you love.

2.      What are your books about? Are you self / traditionally published or hybrid?
I work with an indie publisher in Texas (Weasel Press). My books are all over the place. My first book Just Under the Sky, was more mystical and environmental. My 2nd book Brinwood was a pure thriller.

3.      What led to your love for literature? Any favorite books / teachers / writing mentors?
I had two fantastic high school English teachers who helped show me the steps one must take to become an author. As far as love for literature, I’m not sure. I think everyone would love to read if they found the right books.

4.      What's your writing process like? Do you outline? Do you write by hand / type / dictate?
Usually I just write about a general idea and let the story grow organically but I have started to become fond of editing.

5.      What's your editing process?
It’s a mess. I like printing my manuscript and editing by hand because it’s easier to catch mistakes. On the computer you sometimes read a sentence how you want to read it and not how it actually sounds.

6.      Who or what inspires you? Where / how do you get your book ideas?
I take my dog for long walks and when we get back home I have a new idea ready to go.

7.      When in the day do you usually write? For how long?
Usually early morning and evening. It’s less about time and more about word count goals. I like to reach at least 2000 words.

8.      Do you have a writing routine / schedule? Any specific rituals?
I’ll usually have a cup of coffee or two but nothing routine.

9.      Where do you feel most inspired to write?
My kitchen, next to the window.

10.   Describe your desk / writing corner / favorite writing spot.
It’s a kitchen table usually covered in mail.

11.   Do you listen to music while you write? What kind of music?
Absolutely not. I like it quiet.

12.   Do you ever get writers' block? What are some ways you get around it?
Just taking my dog for walks always does the trick.


Bio:

R.K. Gold is an environmentalist and dog lover from Buffalo, NY.


He graduated from the University of Maryland in 2014 with a B.A. in English and is now pursuing a M.S. in Economics from the University at Buffalo.

He is a non-genre specific author who enjoys reading and writing about characters searching for their purpose in life.




Brinwood

Small town cults linger around our communities. They’re hidden among us, picking up believers and working to grow strong, though most remain invisible to us. What would happen if a heavily religious cult took over one of our towns? How much damage would it cause us? Casper is an exile from his home, but when he finds out his brother has died, he returns to save his family from the ravenous followers who have taken over. Returning for his sister and mother, the young man must fight against the brainwashed folks he used to call neighbors. Can he save them? Or will his return cause the demise of the rest of his family? Welcome to the cold walls of Brinwood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...